View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:03 AM   #3
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Cool

Just to throw in my 2 cents here, according to my MSF class, get all braking done prior to the curve whenever possible and roll on a bit of throttle during the curve to efficiently maximize traction. Start the curve slow, end fast. If one takes a curve too fast and feels the need to slow down mid-curve, the only option they suggested is to lean that baby further over rather than using the brake. I do realize that the MSF class teaches ONE basic method of riding, and this forum has already taught me that there isn't just ONE right way to do things. My husband agrees with Alex and says that some front braking in a lean is ok as long as it's slow and progressive. In a lean, the bike still has some traction available for braking. I think the common error occurs when people quickly grab a handful of brake in a curve and/or let off the brake too quickly.
On another connected note, the times when emergency braking is imperative during a curve still leaves me feeling a bit on edge, so to speak. I don't like the "emergency braking in a curve" method the MSF class taught which is to square the handlebars and then brake. In some situations, sure, that works, but if there is a car coming in the other lane, that would be a devastating approach to avoiding an obstacle in a curve just to be hit head-on by an approaching vehicle because using that method, you are likely to go into the other lane a bit. I always try to ride on the outside of the curve so I can see father through the curve, but what do you guys do if you are at the apex of the curve and BAM, there's a stopped car in front of you...or a deer...or whatever?
I'm learning so much from you all. Thanks for all of your replies to my rear brake thread! Ally

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote