Thread: Idle speed
View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #13
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdecotis View Post
I have checked for vacuum leaks and there is no change in RPM's (using carb cleaner to spray around all boots)

When I cleaned the carbs I removed all the jets and cleaned the very tiny holes and made sure they were all clear.

I did not check the float height or idle mixture screws but that is what someone said in another forum I just looked at. They said idle mixture screw not set right was one of the main problems for high idle speeds.

I will check the idle mixture screw. What is a proper float height?

**Just took it for another quick ride and when it started to idle high I stopped and pulled in the clutch almost to the point of letting the bike stall out. I tried it a couple of times and it went back down to regular idle.
There is a way to check the float height with the carbs on the bike using clear tubing, but I've not done it. Usually you do it with the carbs off.

Take the air filter out and reach inside the airbox. Lift the slides with your finger and let them drop - do they rise and fall smoothly? Does the throttle snap back quickly and firmly when you release it?

Set the idle mixture screws 2 1/2 turns out, slightly more in cold weather.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote