View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2013, 02:27 PM   #10
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
I have a 12v socket w/ usb car charger, but already had both USB ports occupied. Took me until now to realize I could just put a splitter in one of those ports. *facepalm*
Keep in mind that each USB port (and the charger as a whole) has a limited amount of current it can supply. It sounds like you've got your setup working, but just remember that you can't keep splitting those infinitely.

They can be a bit difficult to find, but you can get 12V direct-wire USB power ports. It looks like just a USB port with black and red wires coming out of it, but it actually has all the voltage regulation stuff built in (so don't try just wiring a 5V USB port directly to your 12V battery). If you have stuff that charges via USB that you'd like to use on your bike, these are a great addition. It's a lot simpler and cleaner than installing a lighter socket just to use a USB power adapter in it (though the lighter socket gives you other options and is probably easier to find).

One of the Canadian EX500 guys bought up all the ones that a local store had on clearance and sold them to members, so I can't really help you track one down. http://postimg.org/image/bl637c9h5/ is a pic of what his looked like.
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote