Old December 27th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #58
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Ride Paranoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
But if you ride your motorcycle with situational awareness and you treat every other driver on the road as if they are a threat(not a possible threat) you will be able to anticipate the different things that may happen.

Basically assume every driver is waiting for the perfect moment to kill you.

because that is about the jist of it.

watch your 6 because they will rear-end you or plain run you over. watch your sides because they will merge into and over you
watch in front because they will blow lights cut you off come head on while texting.
That's the same basic advice I give other riders. Simply ride paranoid. When riders assume that they will be treated fairly and with respect like they are when driving a car then that is the time when they start having bad accidents and getting killed. If he can pull in front of you, then he probably will.

Just 2 days before Christmas a lady down here was killed riding a Harley at only 40mph when an idiot in a minivan pulled across her path. Expect the unexpected. Cagers do stupid things sometimes. Its in their nature. And yes, she was wearing a helmet.

Mitchell I hope you recover quickly and don't get discouraged. When I first started riding I dropped the bike within 2 days and was ready to call it quits. Thank goodness I didn't. Now I can't imagine quitting even after the last tumble messed up my rotator cuff for about 6 months.

If you haven't already, try the MSF course. I still talk to "experienced" bikers every now and then that don't know the basics taught in that course. But that isn't to say experience doesn't matter, because it does. And you need more of it. Especially in terms of braking.