Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe305 View Post
I been thinking about my crash a lot lately, and I think I have a better idea of what happened. I fell on the left side, when you lock up the front brakes don't you usually fall to the right..........
It doesn't work that way.
When you did read my previous link, you learned "How dangerous is a quick squeeze" and why.

Too much pressure on that front right lever (Panic reaction = I must stop quick = Apply all possible pressure ASAP !!!) takes the front tire by surprise, which is not ready yet to work with so much pressure in the caliper.
Once the front tire stops rolling, you lose all steering capability and the tire slides forward and very quickly skids to the side opposite to which your bike is leaning, even imperceptibly.
The only solution is to release some pressure to allow the front tire to resume rolling and steering, ........ but we are too scared at that point to think straight.

The frontal support of the bike is violently swept from under you and the combined weight of the bike and rider slams the ground also violently.
Your shoulder receives a strong g force upon impact, which translates into a high compressive stress that shatters the collar bone, which is acting as a column between your shoulder and the rest of your upper body.
"The most common type of (Clavicle) fractures occur when a person falls horizontally on the shoulder."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clavicl...nism_of_injury

In order to be effective (to resist a sliding force of more than 80% the combined weight of bike+rider), the front contact patch needs to have some serious weight on it.
That happens because available traction (rubber-asphalt) directly depends on weight.

It takes some time to transfer most of the weight over that frontal patch of rubber, which can only be achieved with a progressive application of the front brake, or in my case, with a strong simultaneous application and then full release of the rear brake.

In other words, I use the higher weight on the rear patch to induce and initiate the weight transfer and I leave it alone as the weight on it gets reduced (and the chance or rear skid increases).

All you need to learn about braking properly is here:

http://www.msgroup.org/Articles.aspx?Cat=2
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.