View Single Post
Old January 3rd, 2014, 11:21 AM   #77
jefe305
ninjette.org member

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
So did you hit the guy that pulled in front of you or did you just panic brake and go down on your own?

I don't follow your left side - right side theory. When you lock the rears, the bike has a tendency to fishtail so which side you fall on depends on which side it was on when you released the brakes. Releasing the brakes after you start fishtailing is when you get thrown off the bike. The farther from center is the farther you get thrown. If you release when the bike is near inline, then its possible to recover and stay on the bike. The MSF says to keep the brakes locked until you stop.

Once you get your bike fixed (and your foot heals up) you should find a parking lot somewhere and just practice emergency braking. The rear brake is the one that will get you in the most trouble. And it doesn't even help you stop that much. Most of the stopping power comes from the front.

Try experimenting by stopping with only the front brake and no rear brake. Then add a little rear brake pressure to get the feel of it.

When I took the MSF, emergency braking was part of the final exam. Its very important to get it right.
Nope didn't hit the car. "Keep brakes locked until stopped" but what if you're on a busy Main Street? But I guess in that case coming to a complete stop in traffic can't be any more dangerous than falling off. I practiced and experimented with the brakes plenty. I had it down well, that's why I'm trying to figure out what happened here.
jefe305 is offline   Reply With Quote