View Single Post
Old January 24th, 2014, 12:01 PM   #14
PartsNinja
Ninja Parts Master

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ducati Streetfighter 1098, 2014 Honda CB1100 Cafe, 2007 SV1000S, Quite a few 2008-2012 Ninja 250s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSS11988 View Post
I called, they said it was OK and will submit a request to have the information removed. The thing that worries me now is the front end damage? How do I know the forks and shocks are ok?
I deal with bikes like this daily. My best educated guess is that the forks are fine. The "front end damage" that the carfax reports probably relates to the headlight, front fairing and front fairing stay being destroyed. When you go to inspect the bike, point the front wheel straight ahead and make sure the center of the top triple tree (the piece of metal that the ignition is bolted to) is inline with the center of the tire (there is a nice line running down the center of the stock tire).

If the forks are bent (usually one is worse than the other), this will not line up. It is also possible that the forks are not bent they are just twisted in the upper and lower triple trees. This is simple to fix and will take about 20 minutes if you have a front bike stand that lifts the bike up from the frame and not the forks. (or you can use rafters in your garage and tie down straps to lift your bike up by the frame)

If the forks ARE bent, our site sells them for around $140 each. They are easy to replace, I can do a youtube tutorial on how to do this.

Another thing to check on the forks is that the seals are not leaking. Get on the bike and put all of your weight on the handlebars and push the front end down 10-20 times as hard as you can. If the seals are leaking, there will be fork oil on the inner chrome fork tubes just about the lower tubes (near the dust covers).