View Single Post
Old July 9th, 2009, 02:55 AM   #34
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Hi All,
First post alert don't have my ninja yet...

The Yamaha looks cool, but I can't imagine it having 4 cylinders, 1 or 2 makes sense. I think maybe 1 cylinder and they will try to sell it as 1/4 of the R1 engine, or an existing parallel twin that already fits and meets the requirements.

I don't think it will have 40hp, that's too much for most of the European regulations for beginner bikes unless the bike is really heavy, so beginners would not be able to buy it. In Ireland the system is if your 16 you can get a A1 license which means any bike 51-125cc, but nothing bigger even if you pass the test. You want a bigger bike, you have to get an A license and do the test on a bigger bike again. My buddy has a Yamaha dragstar 125cc and is currently wishing he had something bigger, not for more power, but so he could do the real bike test.

If your 18, you can get an A license which allows any bike "not exceeding 25kW (33bhp) or that they do not have power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg (0.212bhp/Kg)" and if you pass the test this restriction stays in place for 2 further years so really passing the test means same bike for 2 years but you can carry a passenger, don't have to wear a bright yellow vest with an L on it, and can use the motorways.

So basically if you have a 125 your stuck with them as you can't do a license test for the bigger bikes on a 125. If you have ninja 250 you are right on the limit of the A license and when you pass you are still right on the limit of the power you can have for the next 2 years. The power to weight thing is interesting though, you could get a small and heavy Harley and be under 0.16kW/kg.

I think most other euro countries are similar, the UK has a way to get directly to bigger bike though (I'm jealous of those guys ). Existing 250cc motors from like in the ybr250 are most likely to be in it, all the yamaha 250's i've seen have been single cylinder, if they create a new motor i guess they would go for a parallel twin. Honda only have off-road 250s. The ninja is about the only sports bike in the class, all the other 250s i can find are off-road bikes. No wonder the 250 is always out of stock!
karlosdajackal is offline   Reply With Quote