View Single Post
Old February 27th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #52
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i'm asking how to survive a crash with less injury. not how to crash in a way that will encourage you to injure yourself as much as possible simply because... you don't want to be away from your bike??? what would hanging onto the bike accomplish to help you in any way at all? you're right i asked the question. and i'm questioning ****** responses like yours.
Wow, that's a lot of crashes! You are wrong about the physics involved. Sliding friction is less than rolling friction. Staying on the bike and utilizing maximum braking is the best way to lose speed. When you "lay her down", you lose all control of where your body is going, and it's going to go a lot farther sliding than it would staying with the bike while braking.

David Hough describes the best way to crash in his book Proficient Motorcycling. I think every rider should read it annually. He doesn't call it the best way to crash, and is a firm believer in riding the bike to avoid a crash. In some instances, the rider may be able to maneuver to avoid a crash. In others, maximum braking can stop the bike short of a crash. Even if crashing is unavoidable, which do you prefer, sliding into/under the wheels of the cage, or reducing speed as much as possible before hitting the vehicle and possibly going over it?
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote