View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2014, 05:54 AM   #1
Datn
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Naz

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250r black/red

Post I "w"recklessly bought a motorcycle

TL;DR CHECK OUT MAH BIKE Y'ALL PICS N' STUFF!

For the past two years I've been looking at motorcycles, and on February 26th of this year I said "bump it man, I'm buying one of em' Kawasaki's on craigslist". And so I did, without telling anyone but a friend who went with me who is an experienced rider. I showed up and got all googly eyed and bought the bike after my buddy test drove it for about 10 minutes and said it was running fine. I bought the bike for $2,200.00 the previous owner said the fairings had scratches, and the front turn signals were missing and that the gear-shifter was dented.

I thought $2,200.00 was an awesome price until: I decided to remove those aesthetic monster stickers on the front cowl where the side fairings meet. It was actually hiding a hole about 2½" in. in diameter, and upon further inspection I noticed the tank was slightly dented (couldn't really be seen only felt, I realized this when I rested my hands on the tank). I also noticed that the low beams didn't work, only the high beams (I don’t know how we missed that one), and that the fairing by the seat has some strange blue-purple mark on it that leeched slightly into the tail light (you have to look closely). The clutch lever feels like it has some slack if I push it out it can expend further than its resting position. And last but not least the turn signals in the back don’t blink and I was not given an owner’s manual.

I’m probably not going to buy new fairings, I will attempt to fix the gear-shifter and re-do the clutch lever, install the turning signals I bought, and try to fix the lights problem.

Today, I’m changing the oil and filter (oil: Shell Rotella t6 5w40 filter: K&N 401), and during spring break (starts Monday!) I’ll be adjusting the valves, lubing the chain and browsing this awesome forum that I’ve been lurking on and learning from.

What does everyone think though, did I still come out ahead at $2,200.00 or no?

And below are pics of the bike, I haven’t registered it yet I’ve only transferred the title I’m waiting until the 25th of March so I don’t have to buy 2 license plates.

CLICK ME TO GO TO THE PHOTO GALLERY (FLICKR) Sorry bout all the bokeh style shots.

I think my title is a little clever.

Last futzed with by Datn; March 7th, 2014 at 06:01 AM. Reason: added TL;DR
Datn is offline   Reply With Quote