Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredgshadow View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought it was better than making a new one...
Today I adjusted my chain because it was loose. After I loosened the axle bolts I went to the adjuster nuts and they were loose enough that I could move them with my fingers. Adjusted chain and tightened the axle back down and went for a ride. When I got back the adjusters had worked themselves loose again...ugh. So I guess I am going to need new nuts and some silicone to lock them down. My question is, was this a situation that was dangerous? If the axle is properly torqued down, the chain adjusters wouldn't be able to make the rear wheel move any way...correct? I don't like messing around with things that could get me injured or killed so any clarification on this would be awesome.
Thanks
The torque for the axle is for making a package with the bearings and separators that prevents any bending of the axis.
Yes, loose axis get bent.
The friction against the swingarm is a bonus that normally prevents the axle from sliding aft or forward.
In bigger bikes, that friction may be overwhelmed by the tension that more HP's put on the chain.

Because of that, the adjusters are there for fine adjustment of the chain slack and as a secondary device to keep the axle from sliding.

The two nuts work creating high friction on the threads of each one, so they don't rotate respect to the threaded rod.

Anything that gets loose and could get caught by the chain or sprocket or any rotating part is dangerous.

Those nuts need no locking agent (Loctite), but enough torque.
The normal practice for final torquing is single-hand-squeezing the two wrenches while they keep a small angle respect to each other.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote