View Single Post
Old March 13th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #57
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I was hit by a bicyclist last year. I was riding along near a small town in Marin, and while riding past a bike that was on the right side of the road, the bike unexpectedly turned left into the road to cross to the other side. He didn't look behind him or signal before turning the bike. I started to swerve left, but he still ended up hitting the side of my motorcycle, near the right rear as I went past. He crashed, and hurt himself; I barely felt it as I went by as it was just a brush (which probably took his front wheel out from under him).

I was extremely fortunate, in that there were a number of witnesses that saw the whole thing happen, and relayed it to the CHP exactly as I listed above. The guy got a lawyer, or his insurance got a lawyer, and made noises about suing me / my insurance company. My insurance looked into it, reviewed the report, contacted some of the witnesses, and ultimately told the lawyer to go ahead and sue, we weren't going to settle. He did have real injuries, broke his tailbone and was claiming $18K or so in medical charges. But it was his own fault, by his own admission to the CHP that he hadn't signaled or even looked before the collision. They must have decided not to go forward with the legal process, as my insurance closed the file quite awhile ago, and just let me know to inform them ASAP if anything about the collision does come to me somehow before getting to them, as there are time limits on responding to various processes.
Well, crap. Just got served tonight. The bicyclist is suing me, over 2 years later. Should be cut and dried, but we'll see.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.