View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2014, 10:55 AM   #162
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaFoxtrotZulu View Post
What do you use for bleeding. I've tried a few things and the hoses are always too narrow I cannot get them onto the caliper bleed screw. I'm thinking one of those reverse pumps might be the best route.
I have a Mity Vac but rarely use it. Get a selection of clear hoses in different diameters, find one that fits the nipple well, (tight) and about 2' long. Sometimes I zip ty it to the nip like a hose clamp.

Run off the nip into a small loop, but don't pinch the hose. Zip ty it to hold it just above the nipple, run the end to a can/cup/jar to catch fluid.

Pump and release, bubbles will get caught at the top of the loop, and you have fluid at the hose and nipple joint, so less chance of drawing air back in if you are sloppy in the process. Also, in the clear hose, you can see if you are still popping bubbles or pushing solid brake fluid.

For those who don't know...

Prepare as above. Squeeze brake lever to put pressure on fluid in hose, pull as it is released and bring it to the bar *** and hold it in next step!

Unscrew nipple a half turn or until fluid is pressed out and brake lever/pedal goes to end of stroke.

Snug nipple, THEN RELEASE LEVER.

Repeat until lever feel is solid with nipple closed AND there is no air released in fluid at nipple.

Air in between the master cylinder piston and the caliper piston can be compressed, this feels like a "soft" lever, mushy brakes. If there is a new brake hose, cal or master, there will be a lot of air. Be patient, the above will still work but it will take awhile to push fluid all the way thru.

At every stop, check the fluid level in the master, as it will be pushing that into the hose, down to the nipple and out of the system. If you let it run low, it will draw air into the line and you will need to start over.

I use auto grade DOT 4 in everything I ride. Moto specific is more $$$, I don't see any difference in actual use. Any auto store or even in a pinch, DOT 3 from a grocery store will be fine too.

I change mine pretty regularly. It only takes ten minutes and gives a fresh brake feel. 2-3 times a year on the street bike. You can ignore it, but it draws in water naturally, right from the air. Water boils, creates gas bubbles, those can compress...mushy brakes. If you are really hard on them, you can burn the fluid too, right in the caliper. Easy to change, do it once a year at least.

I may have missed a point or two so if anyone notices anything add it in please. Little things matter with brake bleeding. Get used to the details and it is very easy to do well. I set mine up to work the lever with my left hand and the bleeder with my right on the front end. Opposite on the rear.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote