Old March 24th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #8
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber side down View Post
Does the oil smell like gas now after changing it and riding it?? Another thing would be how much time do you let it idle to warm up before you ride the 5 miles??
The oil smells "a tad" like gasoline. Just a tad. I don't know if that's normal or not. But it's definitely not a strong gasoline smell. I let the bike warm up for less than 3 minutes before I ride. I start the bike, put on my boots, helmet and gloves and I'm off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
Running in colder temps with the choke partially closed drastically cuts the mileage on our bikes with carbs, another possible thing to look at are sticking brake pads that can also cut into your mileage rather quickly.
My choke is always off. Even in 30 degree weather, I've never had to use the choke to start it. Rear brake pad are not sticking for a fact. When I lubed the chain with the bike on rear stands, it spins freely by hand. I don't have a front stand. However, I am able to push the bike easily. When I examine the front pads, I see a mm or two of clearance when I use a flashlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammerkiller View Post
With those type of figures for fuel mileage, I was going to ask if you were riding around with the choke on! (Fuel enrichener) But, I can see in the video that the choke lever is forward. However, try to get a good view of the carbs, on top, and work the choke lever will looking at the carbs to see if the cable is actually moving the enrichener valves open and closed. Maybe your carbs are stuck on "choke" and your choke cable is broke. Otherwise, did the P.O. re-jet the carbs? If the newer 250 is like the pre-gens, then you should have #105 main jets in the carbs. otherwise, if they have bigger jets in them, that would explain the awkward mileage.

I re-jetted a '04 from stock #105 mains to #110 mains, with a Muzzy exhaust and airbox mod. My mileage dropped from 60mpg to 50mpg!
I think my choke cable is ok. When I had the tank off, I was playing around with the choke cable and lubed it. It moves freely.

I don't know if the previous owner re-jetted anything. I didn't take the carbs out. It looked like it was a pain in the butt since the stock airbox was in the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Not unless you have some major mods, your gas mileage should never be that low, even in cold weather.

Usually when riders have mpg that low, they are not calculating their fuel usage right. The first mistake is always using the fuel gauge as an accurate instrument. It is not.

DaBlue, this is how I calculate MPG.

Fill up bike (I'm always consistent.....bike on side stand. Fill up until gas reaches the metal portion of the filler neck). Reset trip to 0000.

I rode 60 miles (according to my trip meter), when I filled up again (again with bike on side stand....gasoline up to the metal portion of the filler neck), I filled 2.3 gallons.

60 miles required me to use 2.3 gallons. That's roughly 26mpg.

You are also correct about 4.8gal tank capacity. With the tank completely dry (I drained all the gas from it through the petcock), I re-installed the tank and poured in about 12oz of gasoline back into the tank.

I rode down the street to the gas station and the fill up was only 4.1 gals and it was full (again with bike on side stand and I filled it until gasoline touched the metal plate in the filler neck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Even a half tank will work to calculate MPG so long as the fill up is a complete fill up and those fill ups use a consistent methodology.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
maybe the carbs are leaking gas into the cylinder when it sits for a long time
How would I know for sure? Strong smell of gas when I open the oil filler? Perhaps oil level keep rising as the miles rack up?
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote