Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb502 View Post
Have you tried going slower?

Most people seem to advise entering the turn at a slower pace than you think you can do, then once you can see through the rest of the turn you can start adding throttle.

If you're going slower through the turn your SR's won't kick in and you won't even consider chopping the throttle.

Are you trying to keep up with other people? If you are, it's not necessary. Ride your own ride. If you're not comfortable at a certain speed, just go slower.

The other comment about stress could be valid as well. Maybe everything that's going on is causing your mind to wander, or having all of the stress chemicals already pumping through your body makes it more likely for a SR type reaction to occur in a situation where it normally would not otherwise.

Somebody else had a quote in their signature on another forum that might be applicable here...here it is: "When in doubt, slow down. no one has ever hit something by going too slow."
this!!!

There's a new rider here at work and I've been coaching him. One of the first things I told him was that "every corner should feel slow going in." As you gain experience and confidence, what "feels slow" will get faster and faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
I'm trying to practice turn technique (e.g. pick a turn in point, get the bike leaned over, roll on throttle) and if I slow down much more I'll start to compromise the value of that practice.
I respectfully disagree.

The objective is smoothness and technique... not achieving a particular speed or lean angle. Those are byproducts of speed. Nailing the line and being smooth can be done at any speed. The only difference is that at low speed, you don't have any real consequences or tactile feedback for doing it wrong. You can be all kinds of sloppy at 35 mph... at 60 you might lose it.

As someone once said, "sneak up on fast."

And yeah... sounds like a trip to the track is in order!

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote