View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #7
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
What year engine? The later first gen engine has a funny shape to the combustion chamber. I have not done this but I think you can reshape the combustion chamber to allow for high compression pistons. But I'm not sure. Also I do not recommend cutting the head. The valves are really close to the sides and could cause some clearance problems. The service limit is .019 so I cut .010 off the block top. This raises the compression if pistons can't fit. ALL my personal experience is with the second gen engine so please take this with that in mind.

Also about octane.. low octane will not help power. But high octane will kill power. Over 113 will even be difficult to start with stock compression.
It's an early one, either 89 or 91. I don't think pistons are even out there for the EX, and even if they were if they're close to what the 250R pistons cost they'd be way out of my budget. Seems like I could get the CR I want with a little machine work and cost a lot less.

I think you're right about cutting the head, so you milled the block where the jug mates up? Seems like a slick way to go, is milling the top of the jug down an option too? Is one any better than the other?

Have you run into any valve/piston clearance problems cutting 0.010? Do you have an idea of a safe limit for cutting? I wonder how close 0.013 would be...