View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2014, 05:43 AM   #65
Ginganinja
pregens for the win!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 ninja 250, 07 yamaha r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
At some point you need to clean your parts with purple before putting it back together. Tough parts use easy off oven cleaner (with rubber gloves). Also, be careful cleaning old gasket material off. Don't use a knife or anything steel to remove the old stuff. Super stubborn stuff comes off with a nylon wire wheel.

To get the clutch nut off, the easiest way is to use an impact wrench. You need a 27mm socket anyway which is about $5 at Harbor Freight. A breaker bar will work too, but you need a clutch tool to hold it.

Here is one that I made out of a spare clutch disk.

You can buy them already made on ebay for about $15. There is also a vice grip looking tool that you can get, but some people have had trouble with those.
What is the rationale behind cleaning off the parts with purple? And which parts are you referring too?
I'm just curious, and trying to learn as well.

Unfortunately I don't have an impact wrench or access to one so i'll have to make do with my breaker bar, and some good ol fashioned elbow grease. also i'll see what i have lying around that i can make a clutch tool with.

I have a question too, if i am splitting the case open is it possible that i don't need to take the clutch basket off to begin with, as i can slip my new cam chain in around the gear?

I'll keep updating with progress, pictures, and questions.
Ginganinja is offline   Reply With Quote