View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:10 PM   #27
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
It hasn't been used this way unfortunately so very hard to separate genuine negative vs joking ones.

I like having a rating system because if someone comes in and *really* makes a dangerous statement (ie run diesel in your tank, better mileage!) then the community can collectively show that it is bad advice and hopefully follow up with the correct advice. Obviously using an extreme example but i hope the point is made. Same with upvotes, certain members consistently receive thumbs up and others can see that those people tend to have a good reputation among the community.

I also like the limit because it prevents someone from joining today, making a few posts, then going through and randomly up- or down-voting threads just on their own viewpoint with no real contribution to the overall benefit of the forum. Or a new rider joining who has already set their minds on poor riding behavior or choices and when other members try telling them how dangerous they are being, it would prevent the new rider from going through those members and downvoting everything.

Just my thoughts on how I use the system. I do try to only downvote posts that are dangerous, while I upvote things I like.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.