View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2014, 08:14 AM   #96
baxtc1
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): '92 GPX 250 (Gone and replaced with '08 V-Strom), 2005 Suzuki C50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Just the new sleeves alone are $75 each. Don't know about others, but my machine shop has a $50 minimum charge. So that's $200 minimum to go that route.

Boring to 0.5 mm oversize is a little cheaper. New o/s pistons are $30 each.

In all cases, you'll need new rings which are also about $30 each set. I can say that because if your cylinders are worn out, so are your rings.
In my case, I have new pistons and rings, standard size, already paid for last year, so no expense there. If it was possible to do the resleeve at home and get the deck machined after fitting, that would have been the way I would go.
I didn't realise heat was required for this, was hoping a simple push out the old and push in the new.
It seems that .5mm oversize pistons aren't available (genuine at least) as mine have been on back order since june last year.
For a cheap bike it is a lot of fun and though costing money in upkeep, it is getting me to work and back without taking my other bike there being destroyed by the crap in the air out there. Money can be justified on a work commuter.
baxtc1 is offline   Reply With Quote