View Single Post
Old April 5th, 2014, 02:23 PM   #34
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

As a cager myself I can't recall a time I've ever been pissed off by a stock motorcycle high beam being on, even within 500' approaching or 300' behind me. The only time I've been annoyed by motorcycle lights is with aftermarket HIDs mounted in standard halogen housings, even when they're supposed to be low beams. They annoy me because they're blinding everybody, and I can tell they have a less useful distribution of light by the simple fact that they're blinding me, which means they're sending a bunch of light uselessly above where the horizontal cutoff should be.

Another annoyance I've been seeing more frequently is the people with aftermarket HIDs pointed straight at the ground. Obviously they got tired of having other drivers turn on their high beams or people complaining their lights were shining glare everywhere, so they crank the adjusters all the way down where they only light up the road about 20' in front of the car. This annoys me because they will not be able to see any reflectors on vehicles, cones, road signs, safety vests, me sliding down the road after I lowside, etc, and they will not be able to identify road hazards on roads with no street lights until it's too late to do anything about it.

I guess we all have our own pet peeves, but I go by the golden rule when I'm on the road. If I wouldn't want another road user to do it, I don't do it myself. I try to put myself in others' shoes, and the last thing I want to do is piss somebody off. If I was one of the drivers in the video would I have a problem with the motorcycle rider using his high beam? Absolutely not. I've seen multiple Ninja 300s riding around town and on the freeway with their high beams on while driving my car, and never been blinded by one.
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote