View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #12
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

@scorch, Step one for good fuel economy is insuring your Ninjette is running optimally: fresh sparkplugs, clean and adjusted carburetors, clean air filter valve lash adjusted ( I keep mine at the max clearances) chain lubed and adjusted, tires to the max recommended ( though I run even higher, ~ 40/40 ) , check wheel bearings and that the brakes are not dragging. After that I had a moto that would break into the low 70+ mpg range but more typically get mid to high 60's. I was a bit disappointed with this but after joining some Ninjette forums I found that most riders didn't even get 60 mpg that often.
Next I began with raising the gearing and found that 15/37 works wells for non-streamlined motos.I broke into the 80-90 mpg range.
Next I enclosed the front fender , made an aero windscreen and installed a tail and with this I began to break pass 100 MPG on good runs.
After that I replaced the stock fairing with a dustbin type that I made myself and replaced the first tail with a larger Vetter-styled tail. With full radical streamlining I was able to raise the gearing firther to 15/33. With this set-up I placed second overall at the 2012 Mid Ohio Vetter Challenge with a 119mpg run. My best run with this setup was 136 mpg.
Next I replaced my Coroplast over sheetmetal dustbin front end with a fiberglass Vetter nose that I bought from my friend and fellow competitor Craig Vetter. My front was not as rigid as the Vetter nose and did not have the best shape as does the Vetter nose. I rebuilt my tail, further strengthening it and making it more rigid and durable by reskinning the plywood frame with doorskin and fiberglass. I took 4th place overall in the 2013 MidOhio Vetter Challenge with a run of 130.7 mpg. My best run so far has been 146 mpg.
So great fuel economy for a few $: keep the moto properly tuned and adjusted, change the front and rear sprockets for taller gearings ( ~15/37 ), install a taller windscreen, and ride efficiently.
Here is a for an article that I wrote that 250 Magazine published that you may find helpful http://twofiftymag.com/2012/11/max-m...rmiling-guide/

Last futzed with by greenaero; April 11th, 2014 at 03:20 PM.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.