View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

The top 2 brake pad pictures show EXCESSIVE wear and are WAY WAY WAY PAST requiring replacement. I would not ride one single bit on pads that looked like that, front or rear. TOO DANGEROUS. (Looks like those are your rear pads? WOW! Did you swap pads front to rear at some point? Do you really use your rear brakes that much?)

That little notch in the pads (still showing in the last 2 pics) is the wear limit. Once you're into that, you're at the replacement point. Anything after that and you're on your own. As for the first two pics, they're in what I call the "Order replacement pads NOW so if they're backordered, they'll be here before it's too late and unsafe" zone.

You desperately need to clean off the brake pistons, too. It looks like they're showing some corrosion that may cause leakage when you replace the pads. In any case, clean them off as good as you can BEFORE you force them back through the seals when you replace the pads or you risk damaging the seals and causing fluid leaks.

As for the tires, measure the tread depth in the center tread in at least 3 (preferably more) spots around the tire and report back. I believe the wear limit is stated on the sticker on the left side of the swing arm.