View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #19
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (Slightly Modded)

So I rode on twisties for the 2nd time yesterday. And they were more "aggressive" than the first time I rode twisties. This thread kept popping in my head. I was riding with Scorch, who is much more experienced rider than me. Some of the turns I was really hesitant to match his speed, mainly because I was 100% unfamiliar with the roads/corners.

I think trail-braking was good AND bad for me as a newbie. While the technique worked a few times and helped me through some corners, there was one corner that had a decreasing radius and when I went to try and slow down, my newbie mind went into panic mode because I was headed towards a steep hill. If I had kept going, I would have rode wide and possibly down that steep hill. So instead I had tried to use my brakes and had a violent fishtail towards a guard rail. I saved it. It all happened so quickly that Scorch was never out of my field of view. It was insane though, I literally kept thinking "this is it, this is where my bike is gonna be destroyed, I might have some nasty injuries in a few seconds too.."

Later on in the day, however, I used the technique successfully to glide through a few corners.
I definitely see where Motofool is coming from, this may be the wrong time in my riding to try this technique out. At least on the real streets. I've practiced emergency braking before, for extended periods of time. But I think I need to do it even more now, because I was stuck between a rock and hard place and panic mode set in. I've been very lucky that I have been able to save every fishtail/highside that's ever occurred to me. For some reason my body just has the natural reflexes to keep calm, hold the rear brake, and let the bike do its own thing. But that luck is bound to run out, so it's best I avoid getting into a situation like that again.