View Single Post
Old April 15th, 2014, 02:37 PM   #34
scorch
ninjette.org guru

Name: ricardo

Motorcycle(s): 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
Thanks ! Yes , taller gearing will improve fuel economy (FE) as long you don't try to match the acceleration that you had with your stock gearing. The reduced mechanical friction losses allows the moto to operate more efficiently at the same cruising speeds. If you accelerate just as hard as you did with the stock gearing you will need larger throttle openings and will probably see very small to no gain in FE.

Taller gearing in conjuction with reduced aerodynamic drag is where you see the large gains ( ~ 100% improvement over stock for my streamliner). The 15/33 gearing I'm running on my streamliner is usable only because of the reduction in air drag from my bodywork. It is a complete dog with bodywork removed . Without radical streamlining I've found that 15/37 is about the maximum you should go and still have acceptable acceleration. My other Ninjette ( Silveraero/aerotrunk project) is partially streamlined ( aero windscreen and enclosed front fender) and is running with 15/37 gearing. With the aerotrunk/tail on, I see about a 16-20 % improvement in fuel economy due to the reduced amount of energy needed to overcome air resistance.
Aero, where do i begin by making some aero mods to get better mpg?
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote