Old April 19th, 2014, 10:54 PM   #123
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammerkiller View Post
Not sure if I can help you, but I'll try. According to what you say, your last oil change was only about 200 miles worth of riding and the oil was really black. (is that right?)
Correct.

Quote:
Someone else mentioned the petcock, and whether it is functioning properly.
When I first purchased the bike Jan 2014, the petcock was dripping. I took it apart and cleaned it. It's functioning perfectly now. Left the tank off the bike for 24 hours. Not a drip anywhere.

Quote:

Which leads me to ask if you have done a compression test lately to see if your rings are bad.
No. Can this be done at home? Or is it a service a shop provides?

Quote:
Also, if you suspect a weak spark and not getting a good burn from your plugs to ignite the air/fuel mixture, maybe check the coil grounds. Your bike is not that old, however I have had to clean the contact points of the ignition coils (on mid 2000's ninjas) where they bolt to the frame. This is a chassis ground for the coils. There may be some corrosion behind those bolts that is hindering a good spark form the plugs. Of course this may not be the answer to your poor mileage.
I would have to take off the fairings to check. But the last time I looked at everything, I didn't notice anything with rust. Do you know where in the chasis the coil grounds are located on new gen bikes?

Quote:
If your compression is good, and the petcock diaphragm is functioning properly. Then an excessive amount of gasoline is being consumed by the engine, maybe through the main jets. Did you say that your carb jets are stock? No aftermarket jet kits are installed in your carbs? Your situation, and your mileage, is very confusing.
Would it be safe to assume my compression is good based on how it rides? It pulls from idle to redline really strong in all 6 gears. No hiccups anywhere.

The main jets are stock. They are clean as a whistle when I inspected them.

Quote:
I do have one more thing... If your bike has California emissions on it, pull off one of the vacuum lines going to the black, rectangular box that stores gas tank fumes, and smell it to see if it is strong with gasoline odor. Also, maybe remove the box and turn upside-down to see if gas comes out. If it reeks of gasoline, or gas pours out of it, then we found the problem! One of the vacuum lines from the tank is letting the emissions suck gasoline into that black box! yikes!
My bike is NOT Cali emissions. Only one line on the left side of the tank.

Quote:
Sorry, to be so long-winded on the subject. I truly would like to knew just what the hell is wrong with your bike. As I'm sure everyone would like to know.

PM me if you need to....

Mike.
Mike, thanks for all the suggestions! Much appreciated.

But the weird thing is.....I no longer smell gasoline in the crankcase. BUT BUT BUT, my oil level is rising.

See pictures here. I don't know anymore. I'm about to give up and sell the bike or trade it in or something. I just want to ride.....
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote