Old April 22nd, 2014, 10:04 PM   #45
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
That is a difficult but useful exercise: starting turning sharp from a total stop.
This is difficult because the centrifugal effect of the acceleration tends to throw you off out of the turn (in essence, that is equivalent to counter-steering) while you need leaning toward the center of the turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
The only time I really put my right foot down on a motorbike is when I'm stopped at a light or at any strip mall exit and have to make a sharp right turn immediately from a stop. This way, I can lean the bike a bit even before I have to accelerate out to make that sharp 90 degree turn. Makes the turn so much easier and so much tighter (at least for me).
This is EXACTLY what I was trying to say!!! You just explained it so much better If I need to make a right turn from a complete stop (out of a shopping center parking lot) it really helps when I'm already leaning the bike to the right (with my right foot on the ground) and with the handlebars turned to the right. This way when I accelerate, the bike will naturally want to stand upright. But since I'm "one step ahead of the bike" by leaning it over before I accelerate, it stabilizes itself and I just pull hard into the tight right turn without going wide. Hope that makes sense.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote