Old April 24th, 2014, 07:33 AM   #168
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
I guess you guys are right. If the oil analysis comes back normal, I guess I'll have to live with mpg in the high 30s low 40s range.

If that's the case, I know it'll bother me too much. I just can't do it....knowing something is "off". I guess as a last resort, I'll buy a used carburetor and swap mine out to see if it fixes anything. If it does fix it, great! If not, I'll resell the carb and I'll trade in the bike for another 250 or 300.

Let me ask you guys something. Be honest....what mpg do you guys get? And how are you guys riding? Redline? Shift below 10k?

I really hate shifting below 6k. I really really feel more comfortable (and safer) shifting between 7-9k rpm.
First off my bike has a full Leo Vince pipe, stage two Dynojet kit, and K&N airfillter inside the OEM airbox. My jetting is perfect as my bike never needs to choked, runs crisp and clean at an rpm and the spark plugs look perfect.

I always cruise around 70-80mph on the ninja and don't get much city riding. I shift at 6k normally but due to my tall gearing 70-80 mob is 7k-8k rmps. Now every day on my commute I have to go wide open throttle for at least 3 mins in ether 5th or 6th gear to make it up the hills into the head wind. So with this style of commute I average 50-53 mpg. If I ride like a racer in the canyons at redline I get around 48mpg.

My worst MPG on the road was my last MTBing trip several weeks ago. If you did know I have a rack to carry my Mtb on the rear of the ninja and it can create quite a bit of drag at 70 mph. My 1000 mile trip was hindered with 50 mph winds so I was stuck in 4th gear WOT at 10-11k rmps just trying to do the 65mph speed limit. Even being wide open all that time dragging a sail behind the bike the worst mpg I got was 43mpg.

My last track day at Laguna Seca(videos in video forum) I used 5.5 gals and rode 203 miles over two days. That 37 mpg with the bike never dropping below 11k RPMs other then entering and exiting the pits.

Hope this gives you an idea of range. I don't know how people get in the 60 mpg, the best I was able to squeeze out was 58 and that was with some hypermilling use. I think my 70 mph commute and performance mods are just to much to get into the 60mpg range. I suspect most people getting over 60 have stock bikes and rarely get to go over 60 mph.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote