View Single Post
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:47 AM   #16
Nny
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6 (street), GSXR 750 (track) and a Harley FXDB

I am so jealous of you guys that live in that area. I wish my family, freinds and job could just pick up and move. *SIGH*

Anyway...
I keep my RPM's at least 7k going into a turn and I throttle hard through the turn. I keep to the outside on entry, then to the inside at the apex and back to the outside on exit. I swing my knees and elbows into the turn, pointing to the apex (outside limbs just stay against the bike). If I think I am comming in fast I do get my butt off the seat. How much depends on how fast. I usually duck my head behind the mirror while I am looking into the turn. I also put a good amount of weight on the inside peg so there is no weight on the handlebars. I do all my braking before the turn.

Most of this I learned on my cruiser because it doesn't have the lean angle and I wanted more out of turns.

Now, most people will say that kind of riding needs to stay at track days. I do agree with it but if you are like me and the closest thing is a go kart track about 3 hours away that host motard races, and maybe if you get in good with them they will let you ride their track...

Then again..this is how I ride and how I am comfortable. If I ever run into a instructor - he/she may tell me I am doing it all wrong.

P.S. In my defense, I do this on well known roads and do a initial scan of the area before I abuse the turns. I also keep it close to the speed limit.

Mtncruiser - I've seen those guys around here too. Scary stuff. I just keep my distance or pass them first dotted line I get.

Worst moments? - Going around blind turns to find a car driving in your lane. Take them slow and stay close to outside of the lane.

Best? Creeping up on some sport bike riders in the twisties....on my cruiser.
Feeling the Ninja compress into a turn.
A situation like yours. Touched my footpeg to the ground on the Ninja in a turn for the first time two weeks ago. Knew where I was and adjusted for the rest of the turn.

Previous rides: Ninja 650, Ninja 250, Goldwing and a Nightster
Nny is offline   Reply With Quote