View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2014, 11:11 AM   #5
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I've been riding street bikes since April 1992. In that time I've owned or rented something like 25 different bikes, from a 50cc Honda scooter to a Harley 883 Sportster. I've rode sportbikes, dual-purposes, commuters, cruisers, etc. I'm no Ironbutt Rallyist, but I figure that I've rode something like 5,000 miles per year, for a rough total of say 110,000 miles.

My number one criteria for a motorcycle is not performance or handling, it's reliability. A bike that is superb for riding but won't start easily when I push the button is worthless to me. I've always found Kawasakis to be very reliable and dependable.

The Ninja 250R is a good all-around bike. It's not terribly fast off the line, but it's better than most cars and that's good enough for me. Costs for maintenance, parts, and insurance are about half that of most larger bikes, and so I can afford to keep my bike on the road year-round while most other guys here are parking their motorcycles from October through March.

If there is one brand I've learned to stay away from, it's BMW (Bring My Wallet). I've owned/rented three, and all three gave me mechanical fits at one point or another. "Superior German Engineering" my ass.