View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #38
b.miller123
ninjette.org member

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 1998 Ninja 250 2007 Yamaha R6 2003 Honda RC51... sold :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschorr View Post
why is countersteer explained so poorly?
People, in general, are complete morons. That is why countersteering is explained so poorly. "Countersteering" isn't a thing you do or don't do. It is literally how a motorcycle goes around turns when traveling faster than parking lot speeds. You can't "not countersteer", at least not if you want to keep the bike upright. You and everyone else who has ever ridden a bike faster than 10mph "do" it every time you throw a leg over. You can't just decide to "do" physics. You can learn how things work and apply that knowledge to make a motorcycle go where you want it.

I'd suggest not trying to teach her how to ride. Let someone else do it. It really depends on your relationship, but when I tried to teach my wife how to use a manual transmission it lasted about 10 minutes before we both gave up. She thought I was lecturing or getting mad at her, and I couldn't figure out why she wasn't doing what I told her.

Chances are that you have developed some bad habits of your own, and you'll pass them down to her. An instructor at an MSF or similar class would be a good bet. If my wife ever wants to learn how to ride, I'll probably take the class with her just to see if I can learn anything new (and I've been riding for 15+ years).
b.miller123 is offline   Reply With Quote