View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2014, 04:32 AM   #196
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
My buddy was following me today. His windows were down. While we were going going 10mph into a parking lot he said my bike smells really bad while he was behind me.

I asked him "what do you mean by smells bad"? He said it smells really strong of gasoline.

He doesn't ride. So, I don't know what "really bad" is. Should the car following behind you smell any gasoline smell at all at parking lot speeds?

Sometimes exhaust can be odoriferous (big word there). Especially if you run a tad rich, but it's not a real problem. As the AFR leans out a bit it should go away. Gas formula, an incomplete combustion, improperly tuned carbs can all contribute to exhaust smell. Remember you basically have a straight exhaust with your slip on, no resonator, baffle or expansion chamber to change the flow of exhaust coming out of the engine. just an empty tin can between you and the engine.

Really bad is, if you can smell it. Next time put some Cherry Bomb or Groovy Grape in the tank, then have him take a whiff. Watch the reactions of everyone else too.

Try some Iridium Spark Plugs and see you if get a better spark and more complete combustion. A more efficient spark can burn gas better and with help mpg.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote