alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samer View Post
Good point.

I think we can agree that when one applies more throttle, the bike will want to stand up and when less throttle is applied, the bike wants to lean more.

So it stands to reason that there is a sweet spot where the right throttle keeps the bike at a constant angle.

For all real world applications, there would be some "maintenance" torque applied at all times during a turn to maintain turning radius and lean angle. Agreed it is not much if you don't want to change speed.

If one is "accelerating" in a turn, I mean increasing speed, since turning at a constant speed is still accelerating, you definitely need to apply torque to the handle bars in the "countersteer" direction to maintain turning radius and lean angle. I guess I take back the original statement that it is always required to apply countersteer torque during the turn.

Everyone happy?
forget the term maintenance throttle. there is no sweet spot either.
if your technique and machine are functioning correctly, you turn the bike over and gas it and it holds it's lean angle. if not, something isn't right.
on a proper machine i can go from leaned over half way wide open and slowly roll off the throttle (NOT chopping it) and ease into hard brakes without changing the lean angle.
if you do things too fast, your tires deform too much and can push the bike up like a stick in mud. or if you're in heavy braking the rake drops down to the 23s and its very easy to apply additional turn in. does the radius of the turn change with speed? yes. does your lean angle need to change? no.

when leaving a bend, you want to be consistently accelerating. loading the rear tire makes a turn very stable. not continuing to accelerate throughout the turn means at some point you lose that gusto and you're just cruising -- not accelerating. everyone has a different way of saying it, but applying additional gas in a smooth method gets you more of that feeling of being on a rail getting shot around a turn instead of a vague floppy carnival ride. "once the throttle is opened, its consistently and smoothly opened until it is wide open." and then you continue to shift up if you get to redline. on long turns on a 250, you might go through a gear or two.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.