Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
..........Fwiw, the guy in the SUV had zero duty to move over to let you in..........Of course if you feel like being nice, you can speed up/slow down and make a gap for someone. But again, it is the duty of the vehicle coming onto the the freeway to adjust its speed to match the traffic that it is joining.
In a perfect world, the vehicle on the right lane will not be speeding or tailgating.
But in real life, both things happen frequently, placing the merging vehicle in a dangerous situation: hard to match the excess of speed and finding no gap.
It has happened to me many times, almost each day when I merge into I-95, forcing me to look back, forward and through the mirrors to make all kind of mental calculations.
I remember one morning that I found two 18 wheeler tailgating each other on the right lane coinciding with my merge on a ramp that had been shorten by road construction.

I understand that, having to define a who-yields-situation, most traffic laws liberate that guy in the SUV from any duty to move over or slowdown, ......... but why not putting a little effort?
If he had the advantage of the visibility over the merger and it was evident to him that a slow bike (probably someone with little experience or skills) was trying to merge, where is the glory in endangering that rider?

As I see it, each user of the road should cooperate to make things safer to everyone.
Bad or old or stressed drivers area everywhere (especially here in Florida) and real good drivers are always tolerant and even compassionate.

I find this article interesting:
http://seniordriving.aaa.com/improve...ding-right-way
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.