View Single Post
Old June 10th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #25
mrudich
ninjette.org member

Name: Mateo

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
The pregen pegs are lower than the newgen/300 pegs stock vs stock they're ridiculously easy to scrape if you're not hanging off, yes they do have peg feelers. The stock exhaust is known for being easy to scrape too since it's so bulky and low.

I'd say hit up a track day and slow down a bit on public roads until you do so to avoid a lowside into furniture. Also check your body positioning, you should always be leaning more than your bike even if you aren't hanging off.
sadly I am nowhere near being able to afford a track day...
so that's not a current option.
But I have slowed down and have been leaning off the bike a little more with great results so far! No more peg scraping and the turns feel a lot smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
......... But the OP has been riding for less than two months

He has good new tires, but if he keeps pushing on the speed and lean angle, a rear slid may happen sooner or later.
The natural thing to follow that will be the survival reaction of closing the throttle.
I have actually been riding for almost a year now (Yes I am still probably a noob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
Slow down.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Another thought, if you're stock, you probably still have peg feelers on your bike. Their purpose is to serve as a warning to you. If you have the feelers sticking off of the bottom of your pegs, you're ok. That doesn't mean dragging them is acceptable, but it does mean you're at the limit of your lean before you start scraping hard-er parts. If you don't have the feelers and you're scraping actual pegs, you're even further into the red zone, so do some reading and practicing in a safe environment before attempting technical street twisties again.
I do have the feelers so I guess it's to quite as bad, but thank you everyone I have slowed down and am leaning off the bike more.

Also for some background. This is the road I learned on. Possibly a twisty mountain/canyon road wasn't the best place to learn, but I live(d) out in the middle of nowhere so it was the only road there was. So I started on curves before I tried city and such, so I'm not quite new to them. This is not to say that I think I'm a pro at the twisties. I know I'm not (yet?)
mrudich is offline   Reply With Quote