Old June 24th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #43
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
It was the driver's fault. I hate drivers who immediately change lanes the second they put on their blinker.
Me too. I also find it funny that they are called "indicators" over here; as-in, you "indicate what you're going to do". Despite the very clear term and definition people seem to use them to indicate what they are doing right now... which is kind of pointless... because you're turning right now... and I can see that... so I don't need to see your indicators on. I need to see your indicators on before you start turning.

I guess some people can't think that far ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
You must be a pro.. Tell me how the cop in OP's post could have avoided being cut off like that, other than braking, imagine him going 10mph faster than he was. Were wings going to come out of his exhaust pipe and lift him to safety?
Errr... the cop avoided the accident... he wasn't going 10mph faster... he was safely filtering... which isn't even that odd. I safely filter almost every single ride.

There are no dedicated motorcycle lanes where I live. Bicycles, trucks, cars and motorcycles are all squeezed onto very old, very thin roads, up in each others faces. Filtering still works. I don't think many drivers notice me on my bike despite my loud exhaust and obnoxious, solid-green colour scheme. It makes no difference to me though. I ride like no one sees me, adjust my speed for the road conditions, traffic density and perceivable dangers.

FYI: cagers aren't taught about safe driving around filtering motorcycles over here for their compulsory tests. Motorcyclists (even with a full license) are not taught safe filtering technique. You have to take a non-compulsory, advanced motorcycle riding courses to formally learn about it.

For me; I learnt how to filter by taking baby steps. I didn't do it at first. Then I did it a little bit (to pass cars queued behind traffic lights). I observed others doing it, thought about how to do it safely and discovered a few tips on this forum. Now I do it all the time and filtering feels completely natural and safe.

There are people over here that filter badly. These same people ride badly in general though. Whether they filtered or not, I consider their days to be numbered.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.