Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
I'm going to look at this bike today

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...545951895.html
(I'm sorry it's not a Ninjette!!!!!)

and I only want to pay $2k.

Anyone have some tips for me? I suck at negotiating. Especially on the phone. Whenever I ask this, I also get a bunch of funny and interesting stories from people who have gotten crazy deals from just saying the right line...
don't negotiate over the phone. don't talk about price over the phone. the phone is for scheduling a time to come and look at the bike.

go look at the bike without saying anything about the quality. you can ask questions, and it's best to giggle sarcastically at every response as if the owner doesn't know what they're talking about or is obviously lying (they will likely be lying anyway) once you have finished looking over the bike (don't ask the owner the quality of things, just ask facts... ie- when was this done, when was that done... remember giggle as if the owner is lying.) then make your offer. start 500 down. you want to pay 2k so make an offer of "1500 in it's current condition". they will say no and question why its so low and almost get offended. don't explain your offer "i'm not here to tell you whats wrong im here to make an offer on this bike". don't explain what condition you think the bike is in. the less the owner knows about what you know the better. do not justify yourself. you have made an offer, the owner can either accept it, reject it, or make a counter offer. he will say "no i want 4000". just giggle, and say 'well i can come up a little bit for you since you're such a funny guy. my top number is 2000" at this point they will feel pretty ****** about the bike and will either sell it to you or they are the person who will hold out for months until they find a noob who doesn't know what they're doing that will spend 5k on it.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.