Thread: I lowsided
View Single Post
Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:58 AM   #33
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

"i've only been riding for a few weeks, but so far i can't understand how these things happen to riders. im amazed when i hear about guys dropping their bikes. and people even tell me, its not IF you go down, its when."

Not a good attitude to have. If you can't understand how these things happen you won't be prepared for it when it does. You may be able to ride your whole life without crashing unexpectedly, but statistics say otherwise. In fact it's more likely you will eventually crash than not, hence the "not if but when" saying. While there are many things you can control when riding a bike there are also a few you have no control over. Like an unseen patch of oil at night or gravel on the road that's missed while you're looking through a turn. One only has to see all the reports of people lowsiding on gravel to know that riders who think they can avoid every accident by being hyper-vigilant are eventually proved wrong more often than not. For the vast majority of riders a crash is still possible and even probable at some point in their riding career. To totally deny the possibility because you think you can control every situation is absurd. Someone texting at the wheel could drift over the double yellow tomorrow and you'd be dead before you realized what was happening, let alone react to it.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote