View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2014, 06:01 AM   #163
rgx107
ninjette.org member

Name: Rolf

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce71198 View Post
Let me jusst run a thought by you, Most of the heat in an engine is created in the combustion chamber, the oil picks up this heat as it runs back to the crank case, if I remove the eccess heat with the coolant that should elieviate the hot oil, correct?= bigger radiator?
I can't tell you how to solve the problem but hope to help clarify where the heat is coming from. In a way, all of the energy is coming from the combustion, yes.

But, very generally speaking, if you have 30 kW output on the crank, you are burning around 100 kW of fuel. That corresponds to about 11 - 12 L petrol per hour. (You will use more since you are running rich, but around 12 L is burnt, the rest is passing through unburnt.)

Some 30-35 kW will exit the engine as heat through the exhaust. An equal amount is produced inside the engine and has to be cooled off by the cooling system. Most if this is NOT coming from the heat in the combustion, from friction in the engine. The surface of the combustion chamber is small, so it passes less heat than you think. The main friction is from the main bearings and from the sideways force on the piston. The valve train takes a few hp at full rpm, which then turns to heat as well.

Finally a few kW will be used by auxilliaries such as the alternator, pumps and fans.
rgx107 is offline   Reply With Quote