adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
The only place you start seeing traffic is typically on the end of the straight. Them there new guys on 600's always over brake because the control riders keep it to 100-120 or so with the N class riders on the straight. This is an attempt to reduce the number of riders who overcook the big braking zone. Basically, it just means you won't be able to really play with strong braking until the afternoon when they let you loose in a controlled manner.

This.

More often than not, cranking it way up on the straight would have only shoved me into the back of the riders ahead. Taking it a bit easier (that 100-ish pace) allowed me room through the first few turns.

Oh, and there's one other thing to think about that's different: Traffic. Since you'll be following a line and unable to do the slalom thing across multiple lanes like you'd do on the Baltimore Beltway, your approach to traffic will need to be different. Sirref, my sense from your posts is that you're a very aggressive rider on the street. The tactics you use there might not go over so well at the track. Blowing by people is fine, but you have to do it the right way. Sometimes it's better to just chill for a couple of corners and wait for the right opportunity to make a safe, clean pass. Again, the red mist thing can zap you. Safety first! Plus courtesy.

If you're in the novice group there will be the occasional train caused by a few truly slow riders. At the "point and shoot" Thompson, there are only a few places besides the front straight where you can really get by. Mid-Ohio will be different, no doubt.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote