Thread: 1986 ninja 250
View Single Post
Old August 22nd, 2014, 07:16 PM   #15
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
The full synthetics for cars always do, but full synth for bikes and diesels do not always (or so I have been told). I keep saying "synth" and I think you keep missing that. I was never saying that all car oil has it nor was I saying that only synth has it.

Thanks for getting the actual wording for me. I searched for an embarrassingly long time and couldn't find it.
OK - what I'm saying is no, they don't all have it (Friction Modifiers) - just grade 30 and below.

Synthetic or not, only regular auto oils that are 30-grade and under (10W-30, 5W-30, etc) have Friction Modifiers and are rated as "Energy Conserving" at the bottom of the API donut on the back of the bottle.

Regular auto oils that are 40-grade (10W-40, 5W-40) and above don't have them. You can tell because the bottom of the API donut doesn't say "Energy Conserving".

If you don't believe me (I don't think you do), compare bottles of regular (not the High Mileage, Racing, or 0W) Mobil 1 5W-30 and 10W-40 or any other 30 and 40-grade regular or synthetic auto oils of the same brand.

That's just for clarification. It's never a good idea to run any regular auto oil in cycle engines.

Run diesel oil (any type) and you are safe.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote