View Single Post
Old September 7th, 2014, 08:18 AM   #17
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Bikers must realize that people judge their safety to turn by the gap in traffic based on speed. When turning you look down the road and see a vehicle 300 ft away and judge it safe for you to turn. When said vehicle turns out to be moving 2 or 3 times the speed of the surrounding traffic the turning driver does not realize the distance has to be double or triple. Add to that the fact of a motorcycles smaller size and ability to blend into the background and you can see the danger. I believe a bike needs to move faster than traffic most of the time for safety (if they dont they get forgotten and lost in blind spots) but anymore than 5-10 mph is reckless. Most everyone on a motorcycle has moments of recklessness exceeding the speed limits but we must always remember there is a time and a place. A heavily packed -high speed bi-directional highway with possible crossing traffic is a really bad place to go nearly twice the speed limit. I feel sorry for his family as they have to deal with the loss of their son/brother/friend but he made the decision to ride that way in that situation. The driver of the car shares about 10% of the blame for not properly assuring the lane was clear but i doubt most people would have seen him comming at that speed in the same situation. All riders need to understand WE ARE INVISIBLE OUT THERE!!!! The faster you ride the less time the average person (most likely distracted) has to not only see you but make the proper decision so you dont collide! Speed also limits your time to react, The car may make the mistake and pull out but why limit your ability to react. I am sorry this accident happened i just dont want others to make the same mistake. The streets are not a race track!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.