View Single Post
Old September 17th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Gandalf
ninjette.org member

Name: Gandalf

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Question First lowside. What should I do next?

I went into a left turn in a residential street at about 20mph and my rear tire most likely hit a small patch of dirt 1/4 into the turn. The bike ended up sliding into a curb and onto the grass. I believe the curb caused most of the damage.

I was wearing a Shoei Qwest helmet, Dainese Airframe jacket, Held Evo Thrux gloves and SIDI Cobra boots. I was literally going to order leather pants when I got home. I came out with a quarter sized scrape on my knee and a few small holes in the sleeve of my jacket. That's it.

I had a police officer come by so I can make a police report. The questions I have though are should I just fix it myself? Should I file an insurance claim on it? Chances are it's totalled but I'm not entirely sure. If it's worth the hassle I could fix things myself if possible.

The left handlebar is bent along with the clutch lever. Side fairing cracked at the screw near the gas tank. The shift lever is bent. Turn signal is out but I think only the bulb and clear plastic part are the only broken pieces. There's a scrape behind the headlight under the mirror, the side is scraped up and a scrape near the rear seat. The bike won't start unless it's in neutral but I can't try it out since I have to straighten out my shifter first.

If I should just do all the work myself and not bother with insurance, what should I look for in terms of making sure everything is safe to ride it again?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0732.jpg (98.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0735.jpg (102.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0730.jpg (87.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0742.jpg (88.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0748.jpg (82.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0754.jpg (80.1 KB, 20 views)
Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote