Old September 29th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #7
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
My neighbor does the entire trail every year and is a guide. Takes him 3.5 months (basically the entire season). He lives out of his pack 100% of the time. If you are in the woods for any length of time and need some communication, you will need a little solar charger for your phone.... hahahahah assuming you even have service. I do remember he said his pack was about 45lbs. I will pick his brain and get back to ya.
Cool! If he's willing, I'd love to chat via email or facebook or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salcuta88 View Post
Please note: In the Appalachian Mountains, we have lots of bears. Just recently a group of hikers got dispersed because of a bear. Unfortunately, one got mauled and killed. I would suggest some kind of protection.
Black bears are typically benign unless a cub or food is involved. I do plan to take a lightweight pistol or something for those "just in case" scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
There are always discussions about personal safety, as a solo female hiker you will be told you should be scared. That's up to you to decide... You should definitely read 'Wild' by Cheryl Strayed and 'The Cactus Eaters' by Dan White. They are about the Pacific Crest Trail but the same principles apply.

The Appalachian Trail DOES have bears and dangerous snakes. It is really important to be able to identify what animals you should and should not be afraid of.

Get GOOD gear. Spend the extra money for the lightweight, durable stuff. Get a membership with REI - if anything happens to your gear and they can track your purchases, they will ship you a replacement for free to the nearest post office on the trail. Decide what your comfort level will be. Do you need to keep your gear with you in your tent or do you want to hang it from a tree, allowing you to carry a smaller one-person tent, or do you want a lightweight hammock that keeps you off the ground? Can you leave your razor and deodorant at home? How okay are you with looking and smelling like a hobo? Cause you will. How many hot meals are you expecting per day?

Packing IS a big challenge! The general rule is that you can go as far, as fast if you are carrying up to 20% of your body weight as you would if you were carrying nothing. I find it to be true.

Also, A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson.
Awesome, Katie! Thanks! I have read Wild (twice...one of my favorite books) and A Walk in the Woods. I'm currently reading Awol on the Appalachian Trail. I have the 2013 trail guide as well as Appalachian Trials (which discusses emotional and physical challenges of the trail) which are both in my queue to read. I've signed up for an REI wilderness safety class later in October and a hike in March with some folks who have thru-hiked the AT. That's great to know that REI will replace gear!
I'm going to set a goal of a 25-pound pack, using bounce boxes to keep my supplies a step ahead of me at each town's post office. One of my big fears is getting into town when I leave the trail. Based on my reading, most folks hitchhike. That would be unnerving for me if I'm solo, which is the most likely case.
Thanks for the thought-provoking questions.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote