ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
QUIT YOUR JOB AND TRAVEL

It'll open doors you didn't know existed......
That is my hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Bear spray is #1. A small caliber .22LR (rifle preferably) for small game for food. Emergency water purification system.
I'm researching water purifiers currently. I've read about purifiers and iodine as a purifier. I'm interested in folks' opinions on both.
I'll take a gun but not for food. The AT is loaded with shelters, stores, towns, and ample water supply. It's a rare day not to run across 2-3 water sources, though purification is a must. Most thru-hikers carry 3-4 days worth of food at a time since towns and trail stores are widespread.
I will take a tent, but shelters are ubiquitous, so most nights I hope to find space in one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Ally, all job/lifestyle changes can be scary. Imho, a trip like this takes years to prep for to complete without a single worry left behind. Because your home will still need to be there upon your return. You can take it like this, if you have prepped for 6 months or a year of unemployment, then you're half way ready. The other parts are easily forgotten. What are you gunna do with your pets? Who is watching over your property in your absence. Weather still happens, kids break windows and such... Have you thought about handling your mail? Have an investment account? Any changes to that in the time your away?

Taking a dog is ok, my neighbor does it all the time (he takes 3), but will put a speedbump in your timeline if the dog gets lost. Personally, I would never think about a trip like this without a good TRAINED dog but that is just me.

I hope you can do a trip like this. I bet it will change your life in ways you never thought for years to come.
Thanks for the thought-provoking questions, Chris. My pets have people to stay with, luckily. I currently have one roommate, and I will get paid through August. So if I leave in June and decide to keep going, I'll secure a 2nd roommate from afar to cover the rest of my house payment, but the fact that I get paid through summer gives me a little leeway if I end up coming home within a month or two. Luckily in a college town, it's easy to find another renter in August. from June to August with a roomie paying part of it, I'll have plenty of income to make the house payment.

I don't think I'd take my dog, though I'm not dead set against it either. I feel like I'd have to worry constantly about her a) getting hurt b) chasing a deer (or yikes! a bear!) into the woods. If I do take her, she will have to carry her own pack. I'm going to do some reading soon from others who have attempted long hikes with their dogs. She would be good company, for sure.

I have signed up for a Wilderness Emergency class at REI later this month.

I LOVE these questions everyone is firing at me! Thanks! Keep 'em coming!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote