View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2014, 08:10 AM   #13
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

I do my own tires. I purchased a static balance stand only because it was inexpensive and a lot less time then building my own.

I've looked into purchasing one of "nomar" stands but I have seen a number of home made stands that work really well.

I've seen one that was an old steel rim with a garden hose split and slipped around the bead. Set that on your work bench and then drill a hole in the top of the work bench and run a threaded rod through. Now you can pull your bike rim and tire down tight on the work bench.

Break the bead with a C-clamp and walk the rubber off with tire spoons and more bits of split garden hose to protect the bead and rim...

be sure to lube the new tire with soapy water and walk it on.

the small tires are easy. the 180/220's are a PITA

be sure to use a wooden block to protect your rim and bead on the "other" side

run the C-clamp in until the tire bead slips off the rim

put the new rubber in the sun and let it warm up and get as soft as it's going to get

the first bead can usually just be "slammed" on, lube the rubber and just give it one quick push and it should slide on. the second bead needs to be walked on with the spoons... lots of soap and a little water REALLY helps

BE SURE THE DIRECTION OF ROTATION IS CORRECT. There will be an arrow on the rubber showing the direction of rotation...

AND the dot, two dots, yellow dot... THE DOT is aligned with the valve stem of the rim. The tire is marked from the factory with it's heavy (or is that lite) spot... in any case, it is supposed to be aligned with the valve stem

The SCARY part. with the valve core out, use your air chuck to press up the tire. Almost instantly one bead will seat... but the other won't seat until the tire stretches a little... you are going to need to add a bit more air. Usually above what the normal tire pressure is (30 - 40 psi normal) I've had to go as high as 80 psi to get the big tires to seat the bead...

it will pop, pretty loud, when the second bead rides up and seats... remove the air chuck instantly once the bead seats and let the tire depressurize. Install the valve core and press the tire up to normal operating pressure.

a valve core removal tool is very helpful... and not all that expensive.

be sure to dispose of the old tire in a proper manner

Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote