View Single Post
Old October 13th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #12
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
he mentioned that he has no idea why he has no confidence. this means he doesn't know what's going wrong. better tires will simply mask this problem. he does not need better equipment. he needs better training. if he had enough training to know what the problem was, he wouldn't need to ask what his problem is. the problem is that he doesn't know what the problem is. only experience and training/learning can fix this. tires will not change what you know about your bike or how you are able to utilize it. it will only change the bike.
That's an oversimplification. There are certainly times where your equipment CAN be the problem.

As I said, I've experienced new OEM tires that have given me a complete lack of confidence in the cycle's handling. I didn't know the exact cause positively, just that it handled poorly and was unpredictable, but confirmed it was the tires after making a switch.

Obviously training is a good idea, but even a rider with average proficiency can benefit from a high quality set of tires. He said "the last couple of Ninja's I had owned had suspension upgrades" - so he knows more than you are giving him credit for.

If he feels a lack of confidence with this his new cycle vs his former ones I don't have any reason to doubt there is something giving him that impression. Could it be something else? Certainly, but it's not out of the question to think it could be related to tires or suspension.

EDIT: Thanks for the "Unhelpful Post" rating on post #7 alex.s. Insisting that tires can't possibly be an issue, and that he needs more training, is pretty closed-minded. Can't wait until I can vote on your posts...
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote