View Single Post
Old October 14th, 2014, 12:02 AM   #32
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
heyyyy!!!!

i know!!!!

DUCTATI JUST NEEDS TO CHANGE THEIR TIRES!!!
didn't they actually try this? if I remember right there were some rule changes in motogp this year that allowed ducati to use softer rubber...or was that just the non-factory teams?

on point, I never had an issue with the stock tires on the 300. The stock tires on my pregen were deadly with 0 grip because they were the tires from '01 when I got the bike. The oem tires aren't as bad as people say they are, sure they don't grip as well but if you ride long enough and get heat into them they're fine for anything short of track pace and even then you can go to the track on them without any major sliding issues. rojoracing used to use stock IRC rear tires on track all the time before he got into the michelins (which last longer and give better grip at the same time) and I'm pretty sure he's faster than everyone in this thread while using stock IRC tires. That said their feedback is not ideal but it isn't anything that should cause major discomfort at a street pace (within 20mph of speed limit)

without any other information I'd say head to the track and find the issue there, the suspension on the 300 is fine if not a little soft on the front under hard braking but nothing that should be diminishing confidence. If you have the extra money there's nothing wrong with getting new tires since they're a crucial part of your motorcycle anyway. If you do so I recommend the pirelli diablo rossi II tires or the michelin pilot street radials (I run the michelins myself)