View Single Post
Old October 14th, 2014, 07:45 AM   #33
Manimal
ninjette.org member

Name: Daren

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Maybe, but Daren is being a little modest. As far as I know, he does have quite a bit of tracktime under his belt, and is an experienced rider. I don't think the OEM tires on the Ninja 300 are dangerous to the extent that they are a safety issue, but IMO faster riders looking for stickier rubber isn't the worst idea in the world.
Thanks for the post Alex. Sure answered some of the questions and comments posted.

Boy, I really opened up a can of worms ....... sorry

Any how, Thanks for the comments, and opinions.

A lot of my issue is / can be my mental state when and or while negotiating some corners. The feedback I get from the bike at times, has me second guess my approach of taking on some corners; whether brisk / aggressive, or take a more reserved approach.
In other words, the bike just doesn't quite feel planted, due to the OEM suspension being soft (imo), compared to what I am used to with previous bikes I had owned, and or ridden. And admit, I don't have enough seat time on this bike to have the trust in the tires.

Along with my initial inquiry, I guess I was also looking for some validation from those that made a tire change, and or made suspension adjustments, of whether it was a night and day experience.

As previously mentioned, I had purchased a used 09 Ninja 250 with suspension mods (race tech springs and after market rear shock), and OEM IRC's. This bike for me, felt planted and the tires never gave me any reason of doubt, even at a brisk pace. Therefore, my confidence was high.

I had a similar issue when I had purchased a used 07 Gixxer 600. Even after having the suspension adjusted per my weight. It wasn't till I wore down the Dunlop Q2's and replaced them with Dunlop Q3's and dialing in the air pressure to my liking, is where I found my comfort zone and confidence with the bike.

Some of you commented about weight, and OEM springs; 150ish lbs
What is the weight rating of the OEM springs, btw? Just curious is all.

Also there was a comment about adjusting the preload on the rear shock. I have not gotten to do this, yet...... planned.

As for tires, I may opt for this first, before any suspension adjustments; whether simply going with a heavier fork oil, and or springs. And of coarse, the rear shock adjusted.

Any regard, thanks for your comments, input and insight offered.
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.