View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #7
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginganinja View Post
As a seeker of information, i am interested in the handling aspects of why the higher rear makes it handle better. Could you bore me with some of that great knowledge? or a link so i can investigate? I just upgraded my front suspension, and now the bike is unbalanced with the stock rear shock, so it's time to upgrade the rear, just more excuses to buy parts for the bike i guess
It doesn't make the bike handle better per se. It does however make the 250s handle more like people want them to. Raising the rear and keeping the front stock creates a more aggressive setup which is better when taking corners at low speed but sacrifices some stability in higher speed corners. Realistically too much in either direction is bad, the 250s however are not capable of taking some corners at their true high speed so the negative high speed traction effects are not felt as much as it would be on a faster bike. The newgen 250 and the 300 already have a more aggressive profile that is close to the ideal but the pregen 250 is lacking slightly in the department.

In summary, raising the tail and lowering the front causes the bike to react more to minor inputs allowing you to toss the bike around significantly moreso than you were able to before. This combined with lowered clip on handlebars to provide better leverage for at speed cornering turns the bike into a completely different machine.

*this is taken from personal experience and some twist of the wrist II reading

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.