View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #8
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginganinja View Post
As a seeker of information, i am interested in the handling aspects of why the higher rear makes it handle better. Could you bore me with some of that great knowledge? or a link so i can investigate? I just upgraded my front suspension, and now the bike is unbalanced with the stock rear shock, so it's time to upgrade the rear, just more excuses to buy parts for the bike i guess
Ghostt may be able elaborate further on this, but I'll take a shot. Raising the rear causes the angle of the forks (rake) to become more vertical, and the trail to decrease. Both of these changes reduce the self-centering effect of the steering, giving you a quicker turn-in. And it's less stable in a straight line. I experienced the same when I put a shorter fork on my MTB while my good fork got rebuilt. It made it feel like a whole different bike.

Ginga, based on a quick scan of your other thread, I think you've got the opposite happening, your stiff front end and soft rear is pushing your rake away from vertical under load, causing your problems.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.